-

Open Economies - Re: [OpenEconomies] A "must read" forward: Trans-Pacific Tour, part two -- SMART Lett er #81

Mailing List Home

Re: [OpenEconomies] A "must read" forward: Trans-Pacific Tour, part two -- SMART Lett er #81

Miles:

It looks like we agree more than we don't and where we don't the
distinctions you draw are more purely technical and I am not nearly
qualified to disagree with you. I do believe that the problems that exist
could be solved quickly at an application level in an ecosystem where they
are encouraged to do so.

In Canada we had the world's first IP over cable service in 1994 and open
access to the cable plant mandated in 1996. The QoS arguments that were
raised by the cablecos that precluded it ever being implemented (effectively
to this day) were weak. It was clear that market solutions could have
worked, allowing well-incented technical solutions to follow. Anything is
possible if the economic incentives are permitted to exist rather than
discouraged.

The pure technical merits of end-to-end principles are best left (by me) to
others.

Regards