-

Open Economies - Re: [OpenEconomies] software and hardware for low income countries?

Mailing List Home

Re: [OpenEconomies] software and hardware for low income countries?

  • To: openeconomies(at)cyber.law.harvard.edu
  • Subject: Re: [OpenEconomies] software and hardware for low income countries?
  • From: Iqbal Mohomed <iqbal_iia(at)yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 05:06:40 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

An excellent open source/ robust/ Linux-compatible
database is MySQL (www.mysql.com). Some of my
colleagues at UofT have developed substantial
applications/websites based on it.

With respect to hardware specs, it is dependent on the
year and make of the computer. A non-graphical Linux
works well on a modest 486. However, going earlier
than that is a bit risky. Also, be careful about get
voltage types mixed up!

A company called APC manufactures good performance
battery backup equipment(UPS's). The product we used
gave us a few hours of uptime with a monitor (almost
double without a monitor ... makes sense for
webservers). In the developing world, some power
outages have longer durations (maybe two or three
days) so the only solution might be a generator.

Regards,
Iqbal Mohomed