-

Open Economies - Bridging the gap

Mailing List Home

Bridging the gap

  • Subject: Bridging the gap
  • From: openeconomies(at)cyber.law.harvard.edu (Finbarr Livesey)
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:56:07 -0400
Mikael

Thanks for doing this, I think that it is important to try and get some of
the larger issues out of the way as the discussion group moves on. Here are
some extra thoughts on your questions.

Best to all

Finbarr

> >1. Is there a gap? What is it then?
>
>Yes. There is a gap in countries and between countries and between
>continents in respect of:
>1. computers
>2. access
>3. general IT knowledge and
>4. use.

And there will always be some sort of gap. Although technologies diffuse,
they do so at different rates, and to different plateau levels - for example
not everyone in the United States has a telephone, and there will always be
some small fraction of the US without.

>If one of the factors 1-4 is missing in any given community, the digital
>gap will eventually evolve. In a community with high rates of 1-4, the
>digital development will flourish.
>
> >2. Where is the gap? Are we talking about the gap worldwide in developing
> >countries or even on a national level in welfare countries with internal
> >differences and gaps (i e USA or Sweden)?
>
>I think the gap is relative and could be applied and considered both on a
>domestic and international level.

This is to me a REALLY important point, as the gaps between countries may
have longer term impacts than the gaps within countries. Why? Well, if whole
economies are blocked from taking part in digital trade, they will fall
behind, but if the international gaps are narrowed there is then some hope
of countries keeping pace, and then being able to deal with in country
differentials. Possibly this comes down to a strategic choice, in terms of
which you attack first, and of course it is somewhat recursive, as the in
country gap will reflect up to the inter-country gap.

> >3. Should we bridge the gap? (Should you answer no to this question, the
> >rest of the questions may not be useful.)
>
>I think we should consider the world throught the John Rawls veil of
>ignorance. Rawls is well-known to all scholars of jurisprudence and most
>likely all of you, but just to make sure we are on the same page: the basic
>idea is that the choice of the pinciples of social organisation is to be
>made by persons who have no idea of the actual position they will occupy in
>society or of their interests and inclinations. Rawls is wideley critised,
>maybe best by Nozick, but I still consider his ideas as a good tool and
>framework for any regulatory or policy discussions.
>
>Seen through the eyes of Rawls we should bridge the gap at least if we do
>enjoy the benefits of a digital society.

Whilst I am working to try and make equal access a reality, I do not want to
fall into using or thinking in terms of the 'right' to access, as I fear
that this discussion sometimes goes that way. There is no fundamental right
to Internet access, and we have to approach it from different perspectives.

> >4. Do we have a responsibility as humans to brdige the gap? Why / why
>not?
>
>Yes, according to the answer to 3.
>
> >5. Are there any negative consequences of bridging the gap? Do we (i e
>the
> >rich filthy bastards) profit from the differences?
>
>Iqbal Mohomed has addressed this issue very well in his submission.
>
> >6. Are there any positive consequences of bridging the gap Do we (again
>the
> >rich filthy bastards) profit from minimising the differences?
>
>Iqbal Mohomed has addressed this issue very well in his submission.
>
> >7. How do we bridge the gap in short time with lack of funds?
>
>I think we should be very generous with our knowledge. It will not cost us
>much to set up web sites spreading our knowledge and works to other
>communities. The open source and free software movement could be the most
>important step towards digitalisation of Africa. Sweden is one country
>spending a lot of funds on financial aid directed towards developing
>countries (often referred to the Group 77 countries). Maybe we and other
>nations should refocus and educate and ditribute or knowledge instead of
>cash.
>
>At the United Nations Millenium Summit the prime minister of India, Shri
>Vitar Bhapal Vhajpayee stated:
>
>"A 'New Economy' drives the world today. Yet, nearly a quarter of the
>people this Assembly represents have neither prospered nor gained from
>these developments. Often,they find themselves further marginalised and
>more vulnerable as development economics gives way to unbridled market
>economics and social objectives are erased by profit motives."

As a believer in education as a key to many issues, I think that there are
lags that we can do very little about. There are technology issues
(infrastructure, regulation, etc) but then there are fundamental human
issues (education, income, languages ...) that may be more determinative in
the short and long run.