-

Open Economies - Is the Internet a Silver Bullet?

Mailing List Home

Is the Internet a Silver Bullet?

  • Subject: Is the Internet a Silver Bullet?
  • From: openeconomies(at)cyber.law.harvard.edu (Finbarr Livesey)
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:30:33 -0400
Just some quick comments on your last posting, which I agree with in spirit
but have some trouble with in the detail.

When you comment "Notice how (almost?) everything we do on the net can come
under the category of "Gathering Information". " I worry that we are
thinking of what WE do right now with the Internet, versus thinking what
ANYONE (and in that I mean in any country and culture) could do with the
Internet in the future.

Some of the thigns that you are considering (such as selling Afghans over
the net) already occur, but they have difficulties far removed from the
technology. In some countries there have been women's cooperatives formed to
export their crafts. All fine until it started to make some cash, at which
point husbands, fathers, and brothers stepped in to remove the new power the
women were gaining, and shut down the operation.

If we forget the cultural and societal aspects of introducing new
technologies, and changing organizational and power structures within
countries, we will inevitably fail in any of these endeavours.

Finally, I think your overall comment, that the Internet is not a silver
bullet for poverty, is correct. However, it fundamentally changes the costs
of development (a manufacturing plant versus a commputer farm) and is
creating a new sector of goods and services that can be sourced from
anywhere - digitally based goods and services. In essence, new
telecommnications links are new trade routes, and back-office processing and
digital production are the spices of this century for these countries.

Look forward to your comments

Finbarr Livesey