Re: [h2o-discuss] Echelon

I find it extraordinary that my point concerning
individual privacy and rights had turned into a
convenient reason for an odd response from the recent
discussant.

This is not to further distract from the original
point nevertheless, I would like to address the
comments written by Mr. Ted Burton. I am quite puzzled
about the reference as to why my family could not find
freedom in the land of our heritage. If I am not
mistaken, this country provided refuge for countless
generations of numerous refugees from all over Europe,
post World War II and thereafter. By T.B.'s
inferences, the Vietnamese immigrants are somehow held
accountable for US foreign policies and political
machinations during the time that Mr. Burton was a
soldier. I regret that I had revealed far too much
about my background just to make a point about the
values of freedom.  My point was the important value
of personal privacy and rights. Moreover, I did not
expect to receive a set down for not understanding the
true functions of Echelon's existence therefore, as an
"interloper" US citizen, I should "not" have voiced my
concern and opinions. The last time I look, the ACLU,
the Center for Democracy and Technology, Amnestry
Internation are respectable organizations. These
institutions and others are expressing serious
concerns over the violation of personal privacy.

My personal experience was by no means intended to
"offend" my fellow Americans.  I do not wish to engage
in an e-mail squabble on a public forum with someone
who has an agenda besides having clearly lived a lot
longer than me.  My issue is of intellectual nature
about personal privacy of any American. It was my
primary point and still is, human rights.

Thank you.

Tuyet

--- "Edward (Ted) Burton" <attorney@consultburton.com>
wrote:

I suspect that we can only speculate, although
published reports  early in the development of this
story indicated a low number of  intercept points
spread among more countries than there were  intercept
points, which indicates to me that no one is snooping
on my  ISP, but likely an international message is
open to review.

Such would be the only way that the Constitutional
problems with  snooping on conversations could be
avoided.

Barring further factual revelations, then, I am no
way near as  concerned as might otherwise be the case.

Tuyet A. Ngoc Tran knows where many of my generation
spent some of  our youth, unfortunately not well
enough to let her find her freedom  at home ... They
left their home to seek freedom; we left ours to try
to preserve it where it was ...