Re: [h2o-discuss] Echelon

At 17:26 -0800 on 11/21/99, mary anne simpson spake about
[h2o-discuss] Tuyet/How's the musical composition goin thus:

>"Tuyet A. Ngoc Tran" <tatn2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I am forwarding a short e-newsclip regarding Echelon. I am curious
>as to how the discussants think about the issue that seems to elude
>the interest of cyberlaw, individual privacy and rights. This is not
>to encourage alarmist response but rather soliciting for some
>thoughtful contributions regarding your opinionson an issue that
>affects all of us.

I suspect that we can only speculate, although published reports
early in the development of this story indicated a low number of
intercept points spread among more countries than there were
intercept points, which indicates to me that no one is snooping on my
ISP, but likely an international message is open to review.

Such would be the only way that the Constitutional problems with
snooping on conversations could be avoided.

Barring further factual revelations, then, I am no way near as
concerned as might otherwise be the case.

We may or may not need to revise Constitutional law in order to deal
effectively with organized crime and espionage, but a better case
would have to be made than has yet been made for me to agree with any
such proposition.

Tuyet A. Ngoc Tran knows where many of my generation spent some of
our youth, unfortunately not well enough to let her find her freedom
at home ... They left their home to seek freedom; we left ours to try
to preserve it where it was ...

Thanks.

Ted

Mailto:attorney@consultburton.com for collaborative, consulting
services. My practice is limited to major development projects,
municipal law, ad hoc legal team building and supervision, and
helping other attorneys who are swamped or in unfamiliar terrain
handle particular projects. See my site at <http://www.consult
burton.com> for further explanation of the concept and my back-
ground. This e-mail message is not intended as legal advice, and
should not be taken as legal advice or as an agreement to provide
any services, unless you and I have previously agreed in writing
on the scope of a project, and fees.  My home base is in Idaho.