[h2o-discuss] [Fwd: Save The Web - Newsletter No 01 - 04/10/1999]

FYI--this is a group in europe that seems to
be trying to do much the same as us in u.s.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Save The Web - Newsletter No 01 - 04/10/1999
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 09:13:13 +0200
From: "Save the Web" <news@savetheweb.org>
To: Save.the.Web@ns.interweb.be

======================================

SAVE THE WEB NEWSLETTER
www.savetheweb.org

=====================================
No 01 - 04/10/1999
=====================================

CONTENTS:

- Editorial
- Campaign news
- Story of the week
- Save the Web Bookmarks
- Feedback
- Subscription info
- About Us
- Copyright Free

EDITORIAL
the hour
and a large team of volunteers has already signed up to the
campaign.

Our mission is to raise issues with politicians and ensure that
Europe's
internet community is aware of what our politicians are    doing
and
thinking. The response we are getting shows that we    have hit a
raw
nerve. Many users, small business and key players agree that
something
needs to be done to ensure that politicians  are ready and willing
defend internet user's rights and interests in Europe.

In this newsletter we will be sending you a weekly update on our
progress and we will be highlighting the most important stories we
pick
up from various e-zines and mainstream media that we feel
deserve
your attention.

Phil - campaign coordinator <phil@savetheweb.org>

CAMPAIGN NEWS
===============

Publications:

>From the press release
<http://www.internetwire.com/technews/tn/tn984314.dsl> to most
of the
European e-zines people have responded well to the story. A few of
the
e-zines interviewed the founders to get more in-depth   articles on
the
issues; check the story in Wired:
<http://www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/21968.html> and
Zdnet:
<http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/1999/38/ns-10302.html>

On the beeb:
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_454000/454841.stm>

Other sources (amongst others) :

- French: <http://www.branchez-vous.com/actu/99-09/03-295906.html>
- Italian: <http://www.deandreis.it/pin/news/957/pinews5789.html>
- Spanish:
<http://www.lasnoticias.org/noticias/1999_09_23_15_42_02.html>
- Russian: <http://www.lenta.ru/world/1999/09/28/save_the_web/>
- German:
http://www.computerwoche.de/info-
point/newsdatenbank/details.cfm?SNUMMER=11836

We have also been made site of the day by various sites including
for:
http://www.internet-magazine.com/bookmarks/siteoftheday/290999.html

Some site have already linked to Save the Web site:
- The GNU project web site from the Free Software Foundation added
our
links from various pages.
<http://www.gnu.org/server/whatsnew.html>.
- Nirvanet : <http://www.nirvanet.com/>
- Barn: <http://www.barn.halland.net/>

Some individuals have added the Save the Web logo to their own
personal sites. Please pay them a visit and check out different
ways we
can spread the message.
<http://members.tripod.co.uk/Redrose/index-2.html>
<http://www.linfoot6.freeserve.co.uk/>
<http://www.ed.ac.uk/~jeremya/main.html>
<http://scottclark.freeservers.com/>
<http://www.saqnet.co.uk/users/online-now/dir.htm>
<http://www.italya.net/>
<http://hepnts1.rl.ac.uk/UKDMC/>
<http://www.ed.ac.uk/~jeremya/main.html>
<http://www.stephens15.freeserve.co.uk/>
<http://www.speeednet.co.uk/>

Thanks to the success we had with our launch coverage we are  now
approaching various net-centric companies and organisations  for
support, so that our movement can become a permanent    political
force
across the continent. Any ideas for getting    sponsorship or
funding are
welcome.

We want to thank all those who have helped us already by sending us
emails of support, by signing the petition or by linking and
adding the
logo on their site.  Keep the faith, and spread the word !

STORY OF THE WEEK
===================

Student sued for site's links to MP3 files:

The story  of  the Swedish youngster  illustrates the fact that
although
there are a lot of direct infringers on the net, they attack
somebody who
probably is a contributory to infringement. What are their
priorities? It
seems  that these are  not to stop infringement but give  it
maximum
value. As in the physical world they seem to  be more interested
in using
infringement as an argument to get extended rights and keep up
unreasonable pricing schemes rather  than to fight piracy.

*** Student sued for site's links to MP3 files, 13/09/99, The
Register, <http://www.theregister.co.uk>

"A 17-year-old Swedish student has been hit with a lawsuit by the
International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) for
promoting piracy by linking his Web site to an archive of allegedly
illegal
MP3 digital music files.

According to German newspaper Der Spiegel, student Tommy Olsson's
site is the first Web site owner whose pages contain only  links to
music
files to be targeted by the IFPI.

Olsson's lawyer said the case against his client had no merit since
Olsson was simply disseminating information -- the location of the
files --
not the files themselves.

However, the IFPI (or, rather, its Swedish wing) claims that
Olsson's site
does indirectly infringe the copyright held by the owners of the
original
music tracks."

Read the full article:
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/990913-000020.html>

*** Student not guilty of copyright theft over links to MP3s,
16/09/99, The Register <http://www.theregister.co.uk>

"Seventeen-year-old student Tommy Olsson was yesterday acquitted by
the Swedish court on charges that he promoted music piracy by
linking
to an allegedly illegal MP3 archive from his Web site (see Student
sued
for site's links to MP3 files).

Olsson was taking to court by the International Federation of the
Phonographic Industry's Swedish wing. The IFPI was seeking a legal
precedent to allow it to pursue other sites that link to illegal
MP3 files but do not post them."

Read the full article:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/990916-000012.html

****More sources :
* 17-jähriger Schwede verklagt, Der Spiegel, 10/09/1999
<http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/politik/0,1518,40936,00.html>

* Swedish teen awaits Net piracy verdict, Usa Today, 09/09/1999
<http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/ctg085.htm>
* Relaxe pour le pirate suédois, . Liberation,17/09/1999
<http://www.liberation.com/multi/actu/semaine990913/art990917b.html>

SAVE THE WEB BOOKMARKS
=========================

* Saving Europe from Software Patents: by Richard Stallman
<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/savingeurope.html>

*Is Big Brother a reality or are we being paranoid? ZDNet takes a
detailed look at surveillance in the UK and asks how much privacy
is
left?
<http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/specials/1999/09/surveillance/>

*Stand.org: Operation Dear Jack <http://www.stand.org.uk/>

FEEDBACK
=========

Don't forget that this is first and foremost YOUR campaign and we
need
to hear your feedback about what think about the site so far,
suggestions to improve it and ideas of issues you think need to be
drawn to our attention.

Gilles Jospa runs the list and you can send him any information,
comments, questions, opinions or submissions at
<news@savetheweb.org>.

SUBSCRIPTION INFO

ABOUT US
=========

Save the Web has been founded by a group of European individuals
Determined to preserve and develop the Internet as a medium for
unrestricted personal communication and interaction.

More info: <http://www.savetheweb.org/about.htm>

COPYRIGHT FREE

Save the web Newsletter is a publication of the Save the Web, the
Movement to Save Europe's Internet.
Please forward or copy this newsletter to friends or colleges.

The European Web is in serious danger
Join the campaign to Save the Web

<http://www.savetheweb.org>