Re: [h2o-discuss] Who is they?

I'd like to comment a few minor points:
As far as I know in medical research, there is a
myriad of clinical trials and orphan product testings
are being used to provide progressive methods of
treatments or experimental surgical procedures.
Another product that is widely used in most large
medical facilities is the MRI where at one time or
another, was an experimental equipment used for
specific neurological diagnoses. I truly do not
believe that "something" is not brought to market is
due to the public lack of preparedness or acceptance.
Moreover, these ideas are not necessarily languishing
in the parietal lobes of some
scientists/innovators/designers in search of a
marketable venue. Perhaps, it is my naivete but, most
creative people in any field just think of a problem
and proceed to find a solution. This elementary
concept is applicable to most creative and innovative
processes. Albeit most creative processes don't
necessarily start with altruism but, certainly it is
odd to imagine a scientist musing about the
mercantilistic results before s/he even thinks of a
concept. Needless to say, there are always exceptions
to my comment.

> So, in the
> case of something *not* being brought to market, as
> Robert offered, it is
> perhaps that we just weren't ready for that
> innovation to enter our lives.
> It's likely that the idea lay dormant, somewhere,
> and someone will find a
> 'marketable' use for it given adequate imagination.
----
I agree with the idea of providing choices to the
users for cross-platform operability which, would be
more efficient as user-specific ability.  This is not
to change the subject but, as an example, SDMI spent
the past year to come up with an appropriate mechanism
to control and regulate MP3 proliferation and
subsequent, piracy.  The big Five music companies
decided that whatever the system will be, it should be
interoperable among the different platforms, sound
files and systems which, vary among countless users.
SDMI had promised that it will release by mid-summer
'99 such regulatory component to control MP3 download
while satisfying the users, music producers, and
artists involved. The plan is ambitious and, whether
SDMI will succeed remains to be seen. In terms of
concept, the SDMI goals are somewhat similar to users
such as SAK and others, who want the interoperability,
control. The similarity ends there since most Linux
savvy users are essentially extending their
systems'ability withou purchasing the techno-wizardry
sold by the industry.

>... to imply that I'm one of the 'us against them'
> proponents, just that I would
> prefer more options and interoperability.  It's
> where propriety builds a
> wall, from my view here.
----
You will be happy to know that Linux has become a rage
in the West Coast for entrepreneurs.
http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/1999/07/01/penguin/index.html

> In other words, most
> people would rather not have to deal with the issues
> that arise when it
> comes to new ideas, or new processes.  Not that they
> don't already work hard
> enough!  They want to be able to just have their
> operating system stable,
> and let the rest of us tinker with its workings.
----
Just a clarification for SAK:

I believe my original statement about the "us"
vs."them" mentality was intended to point out the
unnecessary disdain for standard OS just b/c the
personal preference is Linux or others. It is entirely
possible that I might have misinterpreted the vehement
views expressed by R. Stallman during the 5/20
meeting. He even spent some minutes to laboriously
differentiate the word "open" and "free" for the
audience in case, they weren't too swift to have
caught on. Perhaps a little drama couldn't hurt a good
cause but, in view of countless Linux users' sites
where, some are truly wonderful to learn from while
others engage in some form of cyber-feet-stomping fury
on their websites. I am still mystified by their
logic, given these individuals are presumably quite
brilliant in their craft. I would think any good cause
should also show a modicum of grace to welcome the
non-believers or supporters, n'est ce pas?

I am safe in the knowledge that I am always interested
in new ideas, concepts, and willing to learn from
others without any hesitation. My parents frequently
tell all their children to be flexible, to be open and
above all, listen and learn especially, from those are
deemed opposing to our values.

Thank you.
Tuyet