This is a Berkman alum page. The information may be out of date.
|This is an archived page, listing content as of January
For current research, see Ben's current web site.
Ben is a Ph.D. candidate at the Department of Economics at Harvard University and a student at the Harvard Law School.
He previously studied
as a student at Harvard College.
Ben's recent research agenda includes evaluation of
registrations in new TLDs, a quantitative comparison of commercial
and non-commercial uses of the Internet, and an examination
of Internet filtering efforts by governments worldwide.
When at the
Berkman Center, Ben's projects included
analyzing the formative documents and continued activities of
running Berkman Center webcasts, and developing
software tools for real-time use in meetings, classes, and special events.
Ben previously oversaw ICANN Public Meeting webcasts and operated the technology used at ICANN's quarterly meetings.
More recently, he wrote about
domain name politics, particularly in the context of expired domain names subsequently used for
registered with false WHOIS data.
Ben has served as a consulting and testifying expert for a variety of clients, including the ACLU,
the National Association of Broadcasters,
the National Football League, the New York Times, the Washington Post, and Wells Fargo.
Visit Ben's current web
Domain Names and ICANN
- Domains Reregistered for Distribution of Unrelated Content: A Case Study of "Tina's Free Live Webcam", documenting 4500+
reregistered domains used for distribution of sexually-explicit content (March - April 2002)
- Large-Scale Intentional Invalid WHOIS Data: A Case Study of "NicGod Productions" / "Domains For Sale". (April - May 2002)
- Alternative Perspectives on Registrar Market Share: The Fortune 1000, the Forbes International 500, and the Yahoo Directory - Revisited (2003 Update). (November 2003)
- Alternative Perspectives on Registrar Market Share: The Fortune 1000, the Forbes International 500, and the Yahoo Directory. (May 2002)
- Technical Responses to Unilateral Internet Authority: The Deployment of VeriSign "Site Finder" and ISP Response. (October 2003)
- Survey of Usage of the .BIZ TLD. (June 2002)
- .NAME Registrations Not Conforming to .NAME Registration Restrictions. (May 2002)
- Large-Scale Registration of Domains with Typographical Errors. (January 2003)
- Compliance with UDRP Decisions: A Case Study of Joker.com. (June 2003)
- Survey of Usage of the .US TLD. (August - September 2002)
- Registrations in Open ccTLDs. (June - July 2002)
- DNS as a Search Engine: A Quantitative Evaluation. (June - July 2002)
- Survey of Domain Registration Services. (August - November 2003)
- Intentionally Invalid Whois Data. US House of Representatives Committee on the Judiciary Subcommittee on Courts, the Internet, and Intellectual Property Oversight Hearing on Internet Domain Fraud & US Government's Role in Ensuring Public Access to Accurate Whois Data. (September 2003)
- A Case Study of Disputed Registrations in .BIZ. (May 2002)
- Analysis of Registrations in the ARNI .BIZ Top-Level Domain
and Analysis of Registrations in the IOD .WEB Top-Level Domain. (June 2001)
- ICANN Substantive Analysis and Conference Briefing Books: IFWP Consensus Summary and Working Drafts Comparison (July - November 1998), Executive Summaries of Formative Documents (July 1999), ICANN and the Public Interest: Pressing Issues (November 1999), Pressing Issues II: Understanding and Critiquing ICANN's Policy Agenda (November 2000) (co-author and co-editor).
- TLD Registration Enforcement: A Call for Automation - Part I and Part II. CircleID. (September - October 2002)
- Invalid WHOIS Data: Who Is Responsible? CircleID. (November 2002)
- Domain Name Typosquatter Still Generating Millions. CircleID. (February 2003)
- Jurisdiction over Domain Names: Too Much Law Or Too Little? CircleID. (March 2003)
- Quantifying Traffic to VeriSign SiteFinder. CircleID. (September 2003)
- Defensive Registrations: Why They're Still Needed, and How to Make Them Earn their Keep. Verisign Digital Brand Management Services - Digital Branding Bulletin. (December 2002)
- Experimental Cross-Registrar WHOIS Client. (July 1999, obsolete)
Filtering the Internet
Retransmission and Geographic Restrictions
Testimony transcripts and additional publications are available upon request.
Selected media coverage of recent projects