Berkman's 10th Anniversary Conference and Celebration
"Yesterday -- yesterday morning, I said that Johnathan Zittrain personifies the Berkman Center -- that Jonathan personifies its creativity and its charisma and its brilliance. Tonight I want to go even further, in saying that Jonathan -- Jonathan in both his style and his substance -- that Jonathan personifies the Internet itself." -Elena Kagan
Well, the internet has several fathers (Taylor, Roberts, Cerf, Kahn, ...) and one grandfather (Farber) so Jonathan should begin a new generation as the first child of the internet, maybe even redeemer! - Jim Morris
- Main Conference Website
- Agenda: The schedule as it currently stands.
- Politics Session View our thoughts about the politics session on May 15
- Attendees: Add your name here if you're attending to let others know you'll be at B@10!
- Social Tools: Post questions to the question tool, IRC Channel information, Facebook group and more.
- Directions, Maps, Travel
- Berkman Center for Internet & Society
- Suggested Attire
May 15 Food for Thought Dinners
- Food for Thought Dinners: Coordinate dinner plans with other attendees.
May 16 Openness Sessions
- Open Learning, Austin North - Building an Immersive Networked Future Expressed in Code, Law, Public Media and Human Spirit
- Open Innovation, Austin East - Democratized and Distributed Innovation
- The Language of Openness, Austin West - Framing the Net: What We Say is What We Get
- Open Network Architectures, Hauser 104
- Open World, Hauser 102 - The Global Internet: Emerging Tech in Emerging Markets
- Open Media, Langdell South - Is Openness Enough?: Media and Democracy in the Networked Age
May 16 Breakout Sessions
Breakout Session Matrix - This will be synchronized with the session matrix discussed during the 9-9:30am Proposal period in Ames Courtroom.
- Digital Natives Session Organizers: John Palfrey and Urs Gasser
- Technology and Political Transparency - Session Organizers: Micah Sifry and Ellen Miller
- Network Neutrality Sessions Organizer: Yochai Benkler
- Netizenship: Engaging with Race and Diversity Online - Session Organizers: David Harris and Rachel Lyon of the Charles Hamilton Houston Institute for Race and Justice Austin East
- Netizenship Session Organizer: Jonathan Zittrain
- The Dilemma of Games: Moral Choice in a Digital World, Session Organizers: Gene Koo and Shenja van der Graaf
- Political Mobilization, the Internet and the 2008 Elections
- Adversaries and Battlefields, Organizer: Jim Morris, Carnegie Mellon
- Democratized and Distributed Innovation
- Framing the Net: What We Say is What We Get - Session Organizers:
- The Dilemma of Games: Moral choice in a Digital World
- Networked News and Public Discourse
- Anonymity, Privacy and Identity: Towards a Bill of User rights
- Open Access: Problems of Collective Action and Promises of Civic Engagement
- The Musician and the Scientist Write the Code: Protocols for Compensation and Openness via Melanie Dulong
- Framing the Net: What We Say is What We Get - via Doc Searls
- The ECOGogy: how .Gov, .Com, .Org and .Edu get along - via Doc Searls
- Chilling Effects - via Wendy Seltzer
- Gatekeepers via Wendy Seltzer
- Filtering via Rob Faris
- Open Security: Harnessing the Generative Internet for the Public Good (formerly Internet Generativity) - StopBadware team, Jart Armin
- What is settled in the development of internet & society, what do we know is true, what do we agree on? - Via Dan Gillmor
- Metaphor and net infrastructure understanding and its legal implications - via Doc Searls / Judith Donath
- Open Access: Problems of Collective Action and Promises of Civic Engagement - via Nick Bramble
- A Strategy for Open Online Education - via Charlie Nesson
- YouTomb: Peeking Behind the Curtain of YouTube Take-Downs - via Tim Hwang +
- Watching v. Surveillance: Who, Where, How - via Hal Roberts, Chris Conley
- Media Re:Public - Internet & Media/News - via Persephone Miel, Jake Shapiro,
- Lawyering for the Peer Enterprise - Wendy Seltzer, David Ardia,
- Why Free Speech Needs Free Culture - via Rebecca MacKinnon
- A Bill of User Rights and Responsibilities for the Future Net - An Open Social Mobile Platform - Digital Institutions for Global Mobile, via Clippinger, Shenja, Oliver, Urs
- Identity & Civil Liberties - via Clippinger, Mary Rundle, Real ID - Higgins
- Beyond Content: The metadata data of abundance - via David W.
- How to Create an Index of Internet Freedom --via Karin Karlekar
- Global problem solving: Let's think collectively about collective problem solving - Mark Tovey
- Business Strategy: Let's think collectively about how business strategy will change given the ideas and deads of Johnathan Zittrain, Michael Porter, and Mark Zuckerberg - Michael Rand
- Berkman Buzzword Bingo
- Suggested Readings: List any relevant academic papers and create H20 playlists.
- Discussion, Coverage, and More from the Conference: Links to blogs, photos, podcasts from conference attendees.
- Suggestion Box: Please list any suggestions that you may have for the conference here.
- Berkman Memories and Moments - What Does Berkman Mean to You?
- The Lost Tribe Members - If you are still in touch with folks on this list, please let us know the best way to contact them
- IRC Log
- Berkman@10 Content Masterlist