Re: [h2o-discuss] low profile

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Jon Garfunkel wrote:

> Ok, that's not fair. Eric Raymond is not a Franciscan. You're in a very

He deserves some profit, but it seems that he's forgot that there're
more important things:
- coordination, cooperation, and the programms (the code) itself,
the things he gave him the power he currently has.

> But addressing your general point: Eric Raymond believes his efforts are
> well-spent in trying to preach to the unconverted. If he's not interested in
> working with h2o, so it goes.

Another important thing:
- Although speaking and preaching is fine. The real "conversions"
usually happen by the force of the facts.
- Eric Raymond could spend the rest of his life as Prophet, but
if the Open Source community doesn't fulfill the expectations
( programms for everybody, everything ...) his words will turn up
useless.
- The actual strength of all this Open and Linux lies in a key
point, many times forgotten: the GCC ( the gnu compiler of C),
It's important to recall that the "small" things are what make
the job, no the big words ( remember Mozilla ?, or Java license ?)
Eric is trying to say that the big words matter. The big words are
simply the reflection , the image , of many small things.
A real, powerful and free Office application for Linux would be
frightening for Microsoft, much more than two conferences of Eric.

Any group involved with Open-... should think about doing something,
not just speaking. In this (h2o) I think the best we can do is
provide organizational efforts and do a bit of organization ourselves.

Take an example at Missionaires working in Third World countries,
truly they speak about God, but they are a source of food, material
and organization for really poor people.

Regards/Saludos
Manolo
-------------
My addresses / mis direcciones:
a="www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina"
b=[("Lritaunas Peki Project", ""),
   ("Spanish users of LaTeX(en Espanyol)", "/pyttex.htm" ),
   ("page of drawing utility for tex ", "/texpython.htm" ),
   ("CrossWordsLand","/cruo/cruo.html")
   ]
for i in b:
  print i[0],":", a+i[1]

  The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions.