Re: [h2o-discuss] RealNames mixing open and proprietary

keywords >to URLs.  See <http://yahoo.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-808296.html>
>("In a bid to win broader acceptance for its simplified Net addressing
system,
>RealNames tomorrow will unveil plans to give away its technology and
develop it
>under the open-source model.")

RealNames is introducing an OpenAPI to its system. That is an opening to
start with. I happen to think that OpenAPI is a critical step towards
attracting developers, and henceforth, a diversity of interoperable
software. (recall my appeal last month to h2o, to assist my crusade to
liberate ThirdVoice's API).

Traditionally the official reasons given for keeping an API closed or
severely restricted is that not all of the API has been thoroughly tested,
or is guaranteed to stay the same (while the realpolitik reason is that the
company wants to frustrate clone developers). (cf the early cases against
Microsoft, brought on by DR-DOS and PC-DOS developers).

>This seems to be a transparent effort to get free (as in beer) code or to
>harness the network effects of widespread use of their code to enhance
>the value of their product: inclusion in a proprietary database.  It
reminds
>me of bundling arguments made in the Microsoft case -- they're giving away
>only a piece of the useful package, to drive up profits from the other
piece.

You are not accusing RealNames of any wrongdoing, but you seem to be tossing
around a lot of words with bad connotations. (like "Microsoft").

You can't deny the ability of a company to have loss-leaders.

Everybody bundles. The other week I took a girl out for dinner and dancing.
The next week somebody else took her out and may have bundled more, and I
don't have much of a case against that (except to renego the requirements
with marketing). I'm only going to cry foul when I find I have competition
with seemlingly unlimited resources (such as Microsoft).

(Yes in today's diverse culture it is not monolithic for young men to be
paying on dates for young women but neither shall it be construed as sexist
since that is my life as an overpaid software programmer.)

Jon