Re: [h2o-discuss] more edges to IPR

Eric Eldred wrote:

> I'll cite two news stories, the first at
> (sorry, the URL is so descriptive it runs over...):
>
> http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/216/nation/Police_use_of_press_photos_on_Woodstock_riots_assailed+.shtml

> In the other story, New York State Police posted on
> their web site photographs of Woodstock '99 music
> festival rioting and asked readers to identify the
> perpetrators.  The Associated Press said that the
> photos had been copied from its web site without
> permission and demanded unsuccessfully they be removed.
> (BTW, this story is also credited to the AP.)
>
> In an interesting legal opinion, Glenn Valle, chief
> counsel for the state police, said his review
> indicated that there may not be a copyright issue.
> "It was material that was already published," he
> said, "It's like walking around with the front page
> of the Daily News asking, 'Do you recognize this guy?'"

and now, in a different report, at:
http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9908/05/woodstock.idg/
we quote:
Glenn Valle, chief counsel for the New York State Police,
has refused to take the photos down. "We're going to
continue at this point as we don't feel there's any
copyright infringement," Valle said, referencing a
section of federal law that limits a copyright
holder's specific right of copyright material
when it is used for nonprofit educational purposes.

(I wonder if Mr Valle would like to join Eldred v Reno?
If so, on which side?  I mean, these are the people who
are supposed to understand copyright law enough to be
able to arrest people for infringing it?)

--
"Eric"    Eric Eldred      Eldritch Press
mailto:EricEldred@usa.net  http://eldred.ne.mediaone.net/