[h2o-discuss] Interpretation question

Saw this link on Slashdot this morning (I'll leave it as an exercise for
the reader to go find the discussion on Slashdot himself):

http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?990729.ecucita.htm

Here's a little snip from the middle, though, that makes very little sense
to me:

> The act means both vendors and users will be able to count on a
> uniform law, instead of relying on differing laws on a state-by-state
> basis, said Ray Nimmer, a law professor at the University of Houston
> Law Center and one of the drafters of the law.
>
> "We think that this will extend the rights of end users," Nimmer said.

Will one of you who knows much more about the way law professors think
please explain to me how giving broad, sweeping power to software makers
to do things like prevent me from giving the software to someone else
without their approval or remotely disable it on my machine when they want
to terminate my license "extend[s]" my rights?

Thanks.