From: Tuyet A. Tran [mailto:tatn2000@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, July 09, 1999 3:06 PM
To: John Wilbanks; h2o-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: [h2o-discuss] street performer protocol

This concept is probably more appealing to
contemporary classical and avant-garde composers and
musicians. In  that they are the least likely to
receive attention/public knowledge/exposure therefore,
this type of venue will help nurture developing
artists who are productive and happened to be quite
good. There are such venues in Europe where composers
are assisted until they are on their ways. The
benefits are spread out to the public, artists and
future generations of artists. Finland is one of such
countries.

Popular music is easier to gain instant attention if
the musicians happen to appeal to the musical taste du
jour. The short-lived popularity even in one city such
as New York can still generate income sufficient to
tie the band over until the next gig in another
marginal venue.

In NYC, contemporary or new music composers would be
more inclined to "give" their works away as a means to
gain exposure outside of various sponsoring efforts by
American Composers Forum and/or American Music Center,
WestBeth Center, the Kitchen.  Even in academic
settings such as Juilliard, Columbia, Manhattan School
of Music, Mannes, NYU, the MOMA Summergarden Concert
series have particularly guidelines before new works
are introduced or performed. In this regard, the
Street Performer Protocol will most likely be
appealing to "marginal" composers and performers.

I don't want to mislead the fact that I understand or
know the music "scene" well enough for sweeping
generalities. I am writing only from a limited
position of competing in Europe where there are
positive support for American composers and musicians
in several known venues in major cities such as Paris,
Amsterdam, Berlin, and so on.

The jurors for new works are more than well known and
established composers and musicians from venerable
institutions. Albeit, the competitions in Europe are
fierce and prestigiously difficult but, worthwhile
experiences for composers and performers to know where
they rank within a short time frame.  In part, I think
European audience is very knowledgeable about new
music as there are countless venues for a plethora of
new works in music, multimedia, art and so on. In the
U.S. the venues are a bit more limiting to major
metropolitan cities and fairly specific type of
audience therefore, sponsorship. The norm in some
cases tend to firstly lean towards a particular au
courrant type or style of works to be "accepted"
before any public audience will ever know of the
existence of an artist.

I think the concept of escrow account is useful for
artists but, need more exploration in application for
the US.

Thank you.
Tuyet

--- John Wilbanks wrote ---