Re: [h2o-discuss] digital dystopia?2

These are preliminary comments regarding "disparate"
domains for music, science, computer software, and
other digital media for documentation. It is a
wonderful concept and possibility for the consumers.On
the other hand, I am concerned that along with the
convenience of uniformity, there will inevitably an
increase ability to control and regulate the
activities of the users. The individual rights and
privacy can be susceptible to further monitoring
mechanisms by private and/or governmental
institutions.  It is entirely possible that the issue
of personal privacy is a non-issue at this stage of
discussion. I recognize the benefits and cost
effectiveness for the users to gain access to a single
unit of multitask application.

I also agree that this concept calls for collaborative
efforts among the computer scientists, scientists,
multimedia designers,educators, musicians, writers,
and legal scholars.
--- Eric Eldred wrote:
> i believe we do need to do more work in bringing
> together the disparate domains we are each concerned
> with--online books, MP3 downloads, genetic codes,
> courseware, computer software, web pages and domain
> names, etc.
______

It is one thing for the consumers to 'give up' their
privacy but, to what extent will the pay-TV database
be used for other applications besides demographic
tabulation?
> -- so what is wrong with pay-tv, if that is what the
> market wants?  what is wrong with masses of digital
> media users giving up their privacy--if that is what
> they want--so that advertisers and sellers can
> target
> directly to their demographics?

www.wired.com/news/news/technology/story/19132.html

Other comments regarding several questions posed by EE
will be posted later.

In the meantime, I think the enclosed article touch on
some aspects previously posted during the open source
discussion.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/285431.asp#BODY

Thank you.

Tuyet