RE: [dvd-discuss] Latest RIAA Tactic- Impersonating a Police Officer

Copyright infringement and the DMCA are two separate things.

The DMCA enforces the removal by technological means of use rights
that we nonetheless retain under actual copyright law.  This bypasses
the entire legal system and puts the force of law behind the whims
of the media interest groups.  This is arguably unconstitutional in
the way that "due process" is negated, and should be opposed by any
and every means available.

Copyright is a long-standing and useful practice.  True, recent
legislation has (over)extended copyright to the point of idiocy, but
the concept of copyright itself is nonetheless worth supporting.  I might
support _limited_ "civil disobedience" regarding copyright infringement
if you put some sort of boundary on it, such as respecting a shorter
term but anything over X years is considered "public domain" by your
protest group, however the attituted conveyed by your question "Why
shouldn't anybody condone copyright infringement?" seems to go beyond
that.

--
-Richard M. Hartman
hartman@onetouch.com

186,000 mi/sec: not just a good idea, it's the LAW!