RE: [dvd-discuss] RIAA Subpoena Process-Flaws

Hi,

in principle your thinking is right, but in practice it is not
that simple. Why?

- computers do not just maintain "time" but also log the time zone
  they're in. So computers around the world have a common sense
  of "time", which consists of local time plus timezone info.
- you can set up a bogus DNS server, but that doesn't make it the
  ISP's DNS that RIAA will demand logs from. Besides, a DNS does
  the IP number - to - hostname conversion, so changing the DNS
  won't give you a different IP number.
- IP numbers, when given back by the user, are not immediately
  handed out to someone else because IP will also get confused.
  It is rested for a while to 'cool off' and have all connections
  that may still be associated with it time out.

Regards, Gerrit