[dvd-discuss] 120 years and still not in the public domain

Could someone explain how a system of cataloging books invented over 120 years is not in the public domain?  I am referring to the Dewey Decimal Classification system.  This has been nagging at me ever since I first read the article.  The complaint argues that it is trademark infringement to use the system.  This appears to be an end run around the time limitations for copyrights and patents.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/ny-bc-ny--deweydecimaldefen0920sep20,0,3455241.story?coll=ny-ap-regional-wire