Re: [dvd-discuss] Gedanken Experiment -Unix and Norton

the question of facts vs. copyright expression has to do with a concept
of "editorial discretion".  A database (full of facts) can be
copyrighted (though not the facts themselves) if some creative judgment
or human editorial decisions are reflected in the selection of the
facts.  Thus one could freely use any single fact (as it is not and
cannot be copyrighted), but could not freely republish the collection of
these facts.

As for programs, these "facts" are in their entirety the "editorial
discretion" of the programmer including, the choice of variable names,
the structure and order of the operations, the selection of algorithm,
the syntactic style ("{" on the same line as the conditional...
please!), and myriad other unique creative details.

What is odd about this is that it is the mechanically transformed
derived work (the .obj,.dll, and .exe (or .o, .lib, .so, or a.out) )
that is usually given copyright.  The actual creative work is given
copyright, but not required to be published.  The mechanistic derivative
work "inherits" the unpublished works protections (as a derived work)
but itself reflect *no* editorial discretion (except in the defines and
compiler options).  "Promote progress"... right!

<beat targ="dead horse">No derived work of a unpublished work should be
given published copyright.  The level of protection or derived works
should not exceed that given to the original work.</beat>

.002