RE: [dvd-discuss] Gedanken Experiment -Unix and Norton

On 7 Jul 2003 at 19:58, juergen + barbara wrote:

From:           	"juergen + barbara" <jmhoraze@compuserve.com>
To:             	<dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu>
Subject:        	RE: [dvd-discuss] Gedanken Experiment -Unix and Norton
Date sent:      	Mon, 7 Jul 2003 19:58:10 -0700

> I venture they have stored the Virus-signatures in a compact form, not just a,
> say, simple list in a text file.

Doubtless but it's still just facts and information that has been organized
into some arrangment of bytes. The arrangement cannot be copyrighted and not
patented as well, although these days who knows.

> Also, identifying and then listing a Virus-signature and the remedy may be
> protected too.

Why? That's just facts as well. A partial remedy is no remedy and neither is
too much of a remedy (Destroy the harddisk!) so there is also no originality in
the remedy.

>It not just the identification but also the way to remove a
> Virus which is stored in the NAV and MacAfee definition file (look for certain
> associated files, cleanup the Registry in a certain way, etc.).  (To give them
> also a competitive edge.)

Again, the remedy must undo what the virus has done. The only originality here
is in the writing of the virus itself-rather ironic that it might be copyright
protected.