RE: [dvd-discuss] Petition for rational copyright law

On 3 Jun 2003 at 20:38, Jim Bauer wrote:

Date sent:      	Tue, 03 Jun 2003 20:38:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:           	Jim Bauer <jfbauer@comcast.net>
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject:        	RE: [dvd-discuss] Petition for rational copyright law

> I have trouble seeing how this will work.  Of course, I have
> trouble seeing how the current system works too.
>
> How would I tell is the copyright holder did indeed pay
> their $1 at the 50 year mark?  If I assume there is some
> sort of copyright registration required for the extention
> then I am still left whith determining how to search it.
> For something big, like a movie, that might be easy.  But
> how can I search for something small like a posting to a mailing
> list like this?
>
> What we need IMO is to know, from the moment of publication,
> the date a copyrighted worke gains PD status.

Details! Yes the Devil is in them but the point here is to get the issue before
Congress. THEN the details can be worked out in PUBLIC not behind smokefilled
closed doors. If this does NOT get to Congress then whatever the best solution
is becomes irrelevant. They won't act on it! At least getting it TO congress
means that something MAY happen as opposed to not where NOTHING CAN happen.
(May = possibility, Can = Ability)