Re: [dvd-discuss]DMCA Excemption Hearings at UCLA Day 1 Part n of N

It gets even better......having just discovered the comment function in Adobe PDF a few months ago I decided to try adding in electronic comments on my copy...so guess what.....<drum roll and toy trumpets blare> The document is password protected with a MASTER password and 128Bit encryption. Printing and copying/extraction is allowed. "Content assessibility enabled" and "Document Assembly" are "allowed" (I don't know what those are.) Commenting is NOT.

This is a public document. Presumably it is in the public domain. It is protected by access controls. As a citizen I am being denied the ability to make use of this material in a manner that it CAN be used. Namely Adobe Acrobat (not the reader but the full version that I have) allows one to put comments into documents. Those comments can be edited. A listing of those comments can be created that identifies who made it when and the page number. This is merely the electronic version of index cards, or 3M sticky post-its that is a common practice.

Now...what about the ability to covert the documnet...Acrobat allows it to be converted to graphics formats (OK I guess I could use Adobe Photoshop to put my comment in but other than saving paper...what's the point. The convenience is lost and the manner that it Adobe acrobat facilitates the creation of a listing is At least you can Get rid of 300 plus "NEAL R. GROSS COURT REPORTERS AND TRANSCRIBERS 1323 RHODE ISLAND AVE., N.W. (202) 234-4433 WASHINGTON, D.C. 20005-3701 (202) 234-4433 " found multiple times per page...but it is stilll not useful because now the page count does not match that of the PDF file neither are the page numbers or line numbers there either. OK so the dumb stupid computer did what Microsoft and Adobe collectively programmed it to do which is create an indexing nightmare.

Is this circumventing access control? PDF with access control->Text->Global Replace Text->Messed Up PDF without access control? Each operation is expressly permitted and even encouraged by adobe and Microstupid.

I happen to know that work in the public domain was a proposed exemption by several people....Anyone know how to hoist the LOC by their own petard?

"James S. Tyre" <jstyre@jstyre.com>

05/27/2003 01:00 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss