RE: [dvd-discuss]DMCA Excemption Hearings at UCLA Day 1 Part n of N

On 20 May 2003 at 16:13, Richard Hartman wrote:

Subject:        	RE: [dvd-discuss]DMCA Excemption Hearings at UCLA Day 1 Part n
of N
Date sent:      	Tue, 20 May 2003 16:13:05 -0700
From:           	"Richard Hartman" <hartman@onetouch.com>
To:             	<dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu>

It all comes down to communication. As Eb Rechtin (rediscoverer of the phase
lock loop)  pointed out, the irony of Arpanet was that it was created to
facilitate remote supercomputing but what it facilited was remote
communications.

I recognize that on the legal side there is the incentive to keep ones
arguments secret lest one's opponent know them and have more time to study them
than you do for rebuttal...Maybe the organization at slashdot may be a
model..it's another problem... Gwen H. did well but I really wanted to jump up
and speak at times....I might add that I got there 15mins late and other than
Jim T. (who I had seen his picture with Wendy Seltzer a few years ago) everyone
else there was a total mystery to me..with little time before to confer, set
strategy, or otherwise prepare....before...or seemingly afterwards (I'm not
buying a 007 digital camera the size of a comb....the pix sucked....my SLR cost
less and takes better pix. My cheezy earthlink digital camera was free and does
also)
If SCOTUS has sanctioned expert witnesses, then there should be no problem in a
hearing. If Brewster can get the Internet Archive lawyer to speak when she was
not on the agenda, maybe some experts in the courtroom can do so as well.