Re: [dvd-discuss] Illegal tactics funded by Anti-piracy advocates

On 6 May 2003 at 22:54, Stephen L Johnson wrote:

Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] Illegal tactics funded by Anti-piracy
advocates
From:           	Stephen L Johnson <sjohnson@monsters.org>
To:             	dvd-discuss <dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu>

> The are funding development of various software solutions for
> anti-priracy. There are a number of companies developting the software
> measusers.
>
> They discussed a few possible approaches.
>
> 1) One is a trojan that would redirect users to a Web site where they
> could legitimately get the music.

As in a computer virus...so there are the haves and the have nots...those who
can create virus to protect intellectual property and those who cannot. The
introduction of a virus onto a computer is illegal...so there will now be good
and bad virii....Big Brother delegates the good...the bad is everything else.

> 2) Another approach is a program dubbed "freeze" that takes control of
> the computer freezing it for a few minutes or a few hours.

Denial of service..punishment withoug trial...so what distinguishes that from
any of several thousand other computer virii? NOTHING.

> 3) A program dubbed "silence" that would scan a user's hard drive and
> attempts to delete pirated music files. They admitted that is still a
> has a few bugs as it deletes legitimate music files as well as pirated
> music files.

Well that's enough...it's a computer virus...I thought introducing them into
networks is illegal?

> 4) Another approach would be to interdication. Block access to the
> network while attempting to download music.
>
> The article talked a bit about the various legal ramifications. Noted
> that the Record Labels will not talk about any of it publicly. Record
> excutives are divided on rolling this stuff out. They are trying to find
> the right balance.

No balance....Question...in the digital age..will vigilantism force the abuse
of copyright defense  as punishment maybe stripping of copyright ownership and
putting them into thepublic domain is an appropriate punishment...punitive
damages must punish and stripping off copyright is very punitive