Re: [dvd-discuss] University Blocking of P2P

On 12 Apr 2003 at 18:33, Mikael Pawlo wrote:

Date sent:      	Sat, 12 Apr 2003 18:33:32 +0200
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
From:           	Mikael Pawlo <mikael@pawlo.com>
Subject:        	[dvd-discuss] University Blocking of P2P

> A major Swedish university introduces blocking of peer-to-peer traffic. The
> reason is not - as it may seem - to make the students comply with the copyright
> act, but to make the networks usable for other uses (such as studying).
> Circumvention of the (very unsophisticated) port blocking may be punished with
> exclusion from the network.

OK...so the purpose of a university is learning. Creating P2P networks using
their equipment consumes bandwidth that other who are not P2P are having
problems...Is this a problem? If they want to register their P2P as research
then let it get some peer review (no pun intended)..otherwise I have little
sympathy...unlike today's students, Visa and Mastercard considered us bad risks
when I was in school.