RE: [dvd-discuss]Lexmark Decision

I think everyone is missing the bigger point.  That is that the "interoperability" clause, in actuality, is always going to be used as a hammer defending the DMCA.  Its existence pounds home the point that the DMCA is 'really' flexible and doesn't have anything wrong with it even though no one can actually use it without being prosecuted.  It's protecting us from the copyright thieves and pirates.  I think that we will see very few cases of interoperability that aren't trumped by the other terms of this act.

-----Original Message-----
From: Noah silva [mailto:nsilva@atari-source.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 3:16 PM
To: dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: [dvd-discuss]Lexmark Decision

just to play devil's advocate...

I often write programs in freepascal...

the freepascal is a program itself though, written in a language. (it can
compile itself, actually).

Some basic compilers I have used were written in C.  GCC is written in
itself, etc.

If you say that I can't copyright a language, do you mean an
implementation of that language, or the language itself.  A particular
implementation of a language and thus should be copyrightable (and not
patentable.. grumble..).  The specifications for the language shouldn't be
protected though, and I would think that even if they were, writing a
compatible language would fall under the DMCA's "interoperability" clause.

  -- noah silva