RE: [dvd-discuss]Lexmark Decision

Maybe I am missing something...

Did lexmark sue for copyright violation or patent infringement?  I thought
it was copyright violation.  Even if this falls under DMCA, and even if
they copied the program outright, if they had to copy it to make the
printer work (i.e. if it acted like a key) then I would think it would be
an "interoperability" exception.  (and I think a key wouldn't be
copyrightable)  If it really is code in a language, and could be
implemented in another way, then (assuming that such a small program isn't
"trivial" under copyright standards) they shouldn't have copied it
verbatim, and simply have to write a different program in this
"language" that performs the same function.  (This assumes they could even
figure out how the language works).

Here we get into the law following distinctions made by people.  I
remember having someone argue that an MPEG data file is a "program",
(especially since there are MPEG decoder chips) and so there is no
difference between a Program vs. Data.  I think that in most cases, the
status of a sequence of bytes is clear, but in this case it isn't so
clear, since we didn't see the documentation from lexmark.

thanks,
    noah silva