Re: [dvd-discuss]Lexmark Decision

just to play devil's advocate...

I often write programs in freepascal...

the freepascal is a program itself though, written in a language. (it can
compile itself, actually).

Some basic compilers I have used were written in C.  GCC is written in
itself, etc.

If you say that I can't copyright a language, do you mean an
implementation of that language, or the language itself.  A particular
implementation of a language and thus should be copyrightable (and not
patentable.. grumble..).  The specifications for the language shouldn't be
protected though, and I would think that even if they were, writing a
compatible language would fall under the DMCA's "interoperability" clause.

  -- noah silva