[dvd-discuss] [dvid-discuss]petition by Static Control Components, Inc. for DMCA Exemption

I went out to the website
To see a thing or two
Then got quite a surprise
but what to my wondering eyes should appear
but a petition for exemptions accepted quite late....

(OK so I botched the rhyme for the night before xmas)

I went there to check formats as I prepare reply comments....This is an
interesting development.....

http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2003/petitions/index.html

The Copyright Office has granted a petition by Static Control Components, Inc.
to consider a newly proposed class of works to be exempted from the prohibition
on circumvention of technological measures that control access to copyrighted
works as part of a pending rulemaking pursuant to the  Digital Millennium
Copyright Act.

Having found that the petition by Static Control Components, Inc. has satisfied
the requirements for consideration in this rulemaking, the Register has granted
the petition and will accept reply comments  responsive to the comment posted
below from February 24 until March 10, 2003, at 5 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
(read Federal Register notice). The submission of reply comments responsive to
this new  comment must be in one of the formats specified in the Notice of
Inquiry. See 67 FR at 63582 (October 15, 2002).

On February 24, 2003, a form will be available on this website for the
submission of responsive reply comments.

     Read petition by Static Control.

<excerpt>

Static Control Components, Inc. (“Static Control”) has petitioned for
consideration of the following
classes of works:
1. Computer programs embedded in computer printers and toner cartridges and
that control the
interoperation and functions of the printer and toner cartridge;
2. Computer programs embedded in a machine or product and which cannot be
copied during the
ordinary operation or use of the machine or product; and
3. Computer programs embedded in a machine or product and that control the
operation of a
machine or product connected thereto, but that do not otherwise control the
performance, display
or reproduction of copyrighted works that have an independent economic
significance.