Re: [dvd-discuss] various reactions to supreme court travesty

I just finished reading the SCOTUS decision...what rambling tortured
argumentation....with an occasional sneer at the dissents. After obfuscating
enough, they simply conclude "the petitioner is wrong"

I don't think the proposal in
http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/lessig/blog/archives/EAFAQ.html
will pass muster. While politically compromising...the approach of allowing
profitable works to keep paying the tax ad infinitum WOULD be constitutionally
invalid under the SCOTUS decision.  THe decision pointed out that "well even
though the terms are getting longer, they still are limited" Such an approach
would permit unlimited terms and so would not pass even under this ruling.
Speaking as a member of society, who is not to blame (I hope), .002's argument
that the work must have some value when it enters the public domain or else the
term is far too long is a sound one....but starting to tax after 28 yrs
relieves the government of an administrative burden and provides some revenues.

BTW - I would contend that the Berne Treaty is unenforcable since it forbids
registration as a condition of copyright. Without registration, the copyright
of works cannot be reliably and simply ascertained. The Berne Treaty fails the
first test of being objectifiable. I don't know of any provision in it that
does not allow taxation of copyrights as a condition of administration....(OK
if Guyana taxes Disney to preserve its copyright in Guyana that sounds good to
me.). Of course, the Berne Treaty was created in the 1870s...if Microsoft can
argue that the Sherman Anti-Trust acts are not applicable in 2000 then a
similar argument can be made for the Berne Treaty.