RE: [dvd-discuss] Postage Meters and the "Right to Tinker"

On 9 Jan 2003 at 17:01, Richard Hartman wrote:

Subject:        	RE: [dvd-discuss] Postage Meters and the "Right to Tinker"
Date sent:      	Thu, 9 Jan 2003 17:01:29 -0800
From:           	"Richard Hartman" <hartman@onetouch.com>
To:             	<dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu>

> Fine ... then the "work" embodied on the CD I recieved in the
> mail is _TurboTax_ , and I have every right to attempt to
> access it, do I not?

I'm not arguing that you don't have the right to access it ("It's a Gift"-a
W.C.Fields Movie I might add)....In fact, I'm arguing that since the works are
encrypted they are not copyrighted so the DMCA doesn't even apply. The only
thing that is copyrighted is the viewable work and all the rest is just legal
self help in advance of copyright infringement.

The fact is that TurboTax has made a gift of itself to you by sending it in the
mail. They know that or should since they can afford to hire members of the bar
in good standing. But TurboTax has decided to put conditions on this gift and
also not allow you to refuse this gift. As far as I'm concerned too bad for
TurboTax (I don't plan on using it this year anywise. Last years version
sucked.)