[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [dvd-discuss] Bunner wins DeCSS trade secret appeal
- To: dvd-discuss(at)cyber.law.harvard.edu
- Subject: Re: [dvd-discuss] Bunner wins DeCSS trade secret appeal
- From: "Michael A Rolenz" <Michael.A.Rolenz(at)aero.org>
- Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 10:01:40 -0800
- Reply-To: dvd-discuss(at)cyber.law.harvard.edu
- Sender: owner-dvd-discuss(at)cyber.law.harvard.edu
On 1. The law says it is a program despite the fact that the CS community
holds that it is not.
On 2. Other than the BIOS and boot program, the answer is NO for general
purpose computers. For embedded systems, some of the simpler ones have no
RTOS and so the final machine code is burned into a prom, eeprom, flash,
whatever. The systems starts at address space zero runs through the code
one instruction at a time until powered off, it gets hung up, or finishes
executing (which for most embedded systems is never).
I think we have a situation analogous to what the USSC was dealing with in
the late 60s and early 70s on obscenity - "I don't know what obscenity is
but I'll know it when I see it". Here the CS community says "I don't know
what a program is but I'll recognize one when I see one".(BTW - I've often
wondered if the relaxing of obscenity laws by the USSC was just so they
could stop reviewing all the cases and watching all those films to find a
"socially redeeming feature")
"Peter D. Junger" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sent by: email@example.com
11/05/01 09:43 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss
Subject: Re: [dvd-discuss] Bunner wins DeCSS trade secret appeal
Noah silva writes:
: Also, MPEG is data, I'm sorry, but it isn't a computer "program" in any
: form of the word I know. It's data interpreted by a program.
1. Read the definition of ``computer program'' in the Copyright Act, which
clearly includes data ("statements") as well as instructions.
2. Can you give an example of any computer program that is not, when it is
data that is interpreted by (another) computer program?
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org URL: http://samsara.law.cwru.edu
NOTE: email@example.com no longer exists