RE: [dvd-discuss] Felten Opp to DoJ Motion to Dismiss

I agree.  I was just pointing out what has in essence already occurred
with VHS without much public awareness.  The only reason DVDs made it
into the spotlight was because of the computer aspect.

I just don't want us to lose sight of the fact that I own the media and
use of the copyrighted material. As such, I have the right to do
whatever I want to with it as allowed by 'First Sale' and fair use.  If
I want to spaceshift or archive a copy for my personal use, I should be
able to make that decision, not have it forced upon me by the industry.
Owning the media is important whether on DVD or a download on my
computer.  I have rights that I wouldn't have it I borrowed it from a
library.  I have purchased the right to use the copyright material in
perpetuity.  Time limits or usage counts on purchased material are IMHO
outside of the limited monopoly grant by copyright.  I believe that any
additional contractual conditions placed on the material are an abuse of
copyright.  Copyright is a social contract.  The minimum terms of that
contract should always be available.  The copyright holder can lessen
the restraints but not tighten them.

I also agree that publish is the correct term, not license.  We, the
public, have let the software industry get away with 'licensing'
software and I don't want to see that promoted to movies and music.  In
fact, I would like to see some way of reversing the software issue as
well.  However, I assume that there has been so much precedent set that
it would take an actual law to reverse it.