[dvd-announce] 2600, studios repsond to Second Circuit's questions on DeCSS

The EFF today filed its supplemental brief as requested by the Second
Circuit, asserting unequivocally that DeCSS is speech that must be
protected by the First Amendment.  In response to eleven questions from the
panel focusing on the First Amendment protections appropriate to code, 2600
explained that DeCSS code -- and 2600's publication of that code -- are
pure speech that cannot be prohibited based on speculation about what
others may do with that speech.  The anticircumvention provisions of the
Digital Millennium Copyright Act are content-based, targeting the
information conveyed by DeCSS, and must therefore be subject to strict
scrutiny.  Neither Section 1201 nor the district court's injunction can
withstand that scrutiny.

The brief also noted that Congress had numerous less-restrictive
alternatives available when it considered the DMCA.  Finally, addressing
Judge Newman's question whether fair use required use of the best format,
2600 concluded that under copyright's bargain, it required use in whatever
format the author chose to publish:
"We do not question the right of Appellees to protect their works.  Nor do
we argue that they must publish their works in digital form. We only claim
that when Appellees choose to publish copies of their works in digital
form, those copies are subject to limiting principles, some of which derive
from the Constitution.  Even if code may protect works from copying more
completely than the law, the law may reinforce that code only to the extent
the Constitution allows."

The EFF's brief is online at:
<http://www.eff.org/IP/Video/MPAA_DVD_cases/20010530_ny_eff_supl_brief.html>
and a press release at:
<http://www.eff.org/IP/Video/MPAA_DVD_cases/20010530_ny_eff_supl_brief_pr.html>

Unsurprisingly, the studios responded with polar opposites to the same
questions, asserting that the statute is content-neutral and raises no
First Amendment concerns because DeCSS has no speech elements, being merely
a device or "digital crowbar."

Thanks to Declan McCullagh for putting the studios' brief online:
<http://www.politechbot.com/docs/mpaa.appeals.brief.053001.html>

Earlier filings from the case are at
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/openlaw/DVD/NY/>.

--Wendy
--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy@seltzer.com
Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School